In USA National egg roll day celebrates June 10th every year. The egg rolls are a delicious appetizer typical of fried Chinese food
egg roll is originally a Chinese dish. The food is traditionally eaten on the Chinese New Year, the most important day of the year to celebrate the beginning of spring. The egg rolls symbolize the silkworms that hatch at this time. Depending on the region – northern and southern China – the traditional food for the festival varies.
egg rolls are also eaten at the Qingming Festival, which commemorates the deceased. The filling is said to have originally consisted of remains of the vegetable offerings that were offered to the deceased.
The filling of egg rolls can be different but include soy or mung bean sprouts, finely chopped vegetables such as white cabbage, carrots and onions, mushrooms, minced meat and glass noodles. The mixture is steamed with garlic, various spices and soy sauce, about two tablespoons of the filling is wrapped in egg roll dough in the shape of a roll or bag and deeply fried. You can also use different sauces served.
In Vietnam, fried egg rolls are called nem rán (in the north) or chả giò (in the south) and are served with a lot of salad and a spicy fish sauce. The filling consists of pork, mushrooms, glass noodles, carrots and kohlrabi. There are also vegetarian fillings. Since the preparation is very time-consuming, they are usually served on special occasions and family gatherings or eaten in restaurants.
National egg roll day – egg roll Recipe
The egg rolls are a delicious appetizer typical of fried Chinese food. Small wraps of crunchy dough, reveal a filling of meat and vegetables sautéed with soy sauce. With this recipe, you will discover how to prepare the pasta and close them perfectly. Ideal for a dinner or an aperitif with friends, to celebrate the days of the Chinese New Year.
egg roll Ingredients
FOR THE BATTER
- 120 g of flour 00
- 80 g of corn starch
- 350 ml of water
FOR THE STUFFING
- 150 g of sliced pork
- 1 spring onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stick of celery
- 80 g of savoy cabbage
- 80 g of bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- seed oil
- To make the spring rolls, first of all dedicate yourself to the preparation of the batter: in a bowl sift the flour with the cornstarch, then add the salt and water slowly, stirring with a whisk until the batter is smooth and free of lumps. Let it rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Clean the spring onion, celery and carrot and cut them into thin sticks. First cut the meat into slices and then into cubes. Sauté the latter for a few minutes in a saucepan or wok with a little seed oil.
- Add the celery, carrot and spring onion and leave to flavor for a few minutes, just long enough to cook the vegetables a little while leaving them crunchy. Deglaze with the soy sauce.
- Add the bean sprouts and the cabbage and continue cooking for a few seconds, stirring. Withdraw and set aside. Now prepare the wrappers: place a ladle of batter in a hot non-stick pan greased with a drizzle of oil. Swirl to distribute the mixture in an even veil and cook the crepe thus obtained for about 2 minutes per side. Proceed in the same way until the end of the dough, gradually stacking the crêpes thus obtained on a plate.
- Now compose the rolls: spread a disc of dough on a flat plate, place a spoonful of the filling at the base then cover it by bringing the lower edge upwards in order to close it. Brush the remaining part of the dough with 1 tablespoon of water mixed with 1 tablespoon of flour and close the two side flaps folding them back on themselves, as shown in the image.
- Then roll it all up into a roll, applying pressure to seal well. Proceed to form rolls in this way, until all the ingredients are used up. Fry the rolls, a few at a time, in hot oil at 175 ° until they are uniformly golden. Drain them with a slotted spoon and quickly pass them on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Serve the egg rolls immediately hot, accompanied by chopped spring onion, sprouts and soy sauce to taste.