when is national high five day 2021?
Always on the third Thursday in April in the USA the so-called Gib-mir-Fünf-Day ( National High Five Day – NH5D ) is celebrated. Reason enough, the occasion, 2021 to the present on April 15, falls on the calendar of curious holidays from around the world to examine in detail. What is this special day of the high hand about?
Who Started National High Five Day?
In contrast to many other curious holidays and action days from the United States, in the case of the National High Five Day there is very specific information about its origins and backgrounds.
Similar to the US Day of banana (Engl. Banana Day), which always falls on the third Wednesday of each in April, and the NH5D goes back to a student initiative. It was started in 2002 by students at the University of Virginia in Charlottsville, who had set up a shop on campus selling high fives and lemonade for a small donation. So to speak, for a good cause.
Over time, the idea spread across the country and since then there have been quite a few people celebrating this third Thursday in April with this gesture. Not just for an end in itself, however.
NH5D: High Fives as a charity and day of action
The National High Five Project (NH5D), which has now been founded, has had the legal and tax status of a non-profit organization since 2010 and the makers decided to use this day of action every year from now on to support a charitable project. The following initiatives have been supported so far:
- In 2011, NH5D enabled Brooke Adams to study at the Florida Institute Of Technology through a grant from the National High Five Scholarship
- In 2012, NH5D collected donations for national cancer research with the National High-5-A-Thon campaign.
- In 2013, the proceeds of the National High Five Day from the bombing of the Boston Marathon were donated to local organizations to support the victims and their families.
- 2014: see 2012.
- In 2015, all donations raised will go to the Action for Healthy Kids alliance.
- 2016 and 2017: All proceeds from this year’s #HighFiveChallenge go to the CoachArt organization, which supports the families of chronically ill children.
When does the United States celebrate give-me-five day?
In contrast, in the course of the research for the present article, I could not find out why the initiators chose the flexible date of the third Thursday in April.
At least this choice ensures that there are no weekend plans in the way. Accordingly, the NH5D will take place on the following dates in the coming years:
- 2021: Thursday April 15th
- 2022: Thursday, April 21
- 2023: Thursday April 20th
- 2024: Thursday April 18
- 2025: Thursday April 17th
- 2026: Thursday April 16
- 2027: Thursday April 15th
- 2028: Thursday April 20th
- 2029: Thursday April 19th
- 2030: Thursday, April 18
Nobody should say that he / she did not know anything about it. In this sense: give me – currently but only virtually – five for a good cause. Whether in the United States, Germany or anywhere else in the world. 🙂