On June 12, 1967, the United States Supreme Court overturned the multiracial marriage law. It is remembered in the United States with the National Loving Day. Reason enough to shed some light on the history of this commemoration day for the historical legal judgment.
Specifically, Loving Day refers to June 12, 1967, the day on which the United States Supreme Court unanimously resolved the lawsuit of the multiracial couple Mildred (African American and Indian descent) and Richard Loving (whiter) upheld against the state of Virginia.
Loving Day Quotes
1. “A man’s daughter is his heart. Just with feet, walking out in the world.”
2. “Anytime you have sex with someone of a different race, think about that for a moment. Because nothing feels better than orgasming while thinking about all the progress we’ve made in civil rights in this country.” – Aziz Ansari
3. “Forgiveness comes later in life, after you’ve created enough disasters of your own.”
4. “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
5. “I have found that, in the African American oral tradition, if the words are enunciated eloquently enough, no one examines the meaning for definitive truth.”
6. “I think it’s something that needs to be said – that there are interracial marriages out there, and the couples live happy lives, and there’s nothing wrong with it.” – Tia Mowry
7. “I was a boy that age once, and I know that 97.7 percent of their bodies are semen and the 2.8 percent is an incendiary device for spraying it.”
8. “If I know what love is, it is because of you.” – Hermann Hesse
9. “Intermarriage is one of the most provocative words in the English language” – Clotye Murdock Larsson
10. “Life is the flower for which love is the honey.” – Victor Hugo
11. “Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.” – Oprah Winfrey
12. “Love is an untamed force. When we try to control it, it destroys us. When we try to imprison it, it enslaves us. When we try to understand it, it leaves us feeling lost and confused.” – Paulo Coelho
13. “Love is blind despite the world’s attempt to give it eyes.” – Matshona Dhliwayo
14. “Love is the whole thing. We are only the pieces.” – Rumi
15. “Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.” – Maya Angelou
16. “Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.” – Maya Angelou
17. “Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.” – James Baldwin
18. “People aren’t social, they’re tribal. Race doesn’t exist, but tribes are fucking real.”
19. “People look at interracial couples through their own, distorting racial lens. It doesn’t matter what form they take.”
20. “she loves everyone else here enough that she is willing to let them see all of who she is in this moment.”
21. “The sociopaths, that’s the real problem. The whole street demeanor is about pretending to be a sociopath as well, so that the real ones can’t find you.”
22. “This is not a true problem, since individuals marry, not races.” – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
23. “To love and be loved is to the feel the sun from both sides.” – David Viscott
24. “Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” – Emily Bronte
25. “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” – Rumi