Already knew? The May 4 to celebrate the United States as their national day of orange juice (National Orange Juice Day) Delicious. This article sheds light on what this is all about and why this special day of orange juice deserves a permanent place in the calendar of curious holidays from all over the world . So why are we celebrating orange juice today?
Who started National Orange Juice Day?
Unfortunately, even in the case of National Orange Juice Day, almost nothing seems to be known about its origins. In the course of my research, I could neither find out who started it, nor since when this culinary holiday has been celebrated in the United States.
Accordingly, when choosing the date, it is not entirely clear why the inventors of this special day of orange juice decided on May 4th today. Any substantive references to the crimes committed in parallel on 4 May International Day of Firefighters (Engl. International Firefighters’ Day), small and-proud-to-day (Engl. Petite And Proud Day) or the Star Wars Day (dt. Star Wars Day) I couldn’t find it. Anyone who knows more here should contact me. 🙂
Kitchen knowledge: five curious facts about orange juice
- Orange juice represents 50% of global fruit juice consumption and is therefore the most widely consumed juice in the world at 12 billion liters. In Germany, the average orange juice consumption in the year was 7.8 liters per capita.
- Around half of the oranges used for juice production worldwide come from Brazil. So it is not surprising that the Brazilians take over around 80% of world orange juice trade and export around 6 billion liters of the beverage each year.
- The largest orange juice importer is currently the European Union, which handles around two thirds of global exports.
- An average glass of orange juice contains approx. 124 mg of vitamin C and a high proportion of potassium, vitamin B1 and folate (see also the other articles from the calendar of the fruit holidays for comparison ).
- Even if orange juice is still very popular and is one of the most popular breakfast drinks in the USA, many nutritionists have concerns about this. Especially the high acidity of the fruit juice is here in the criticism of anything is to be healthy and beneficial for stomach, enamel and calcium absorption as (see also the contribution to the US Day of the lemon juice (National Lemon Juice Day ) on August 29).
With this in mind: Have a great National Orange Juice Day to all of you.
Fresh pressed orange juice
Freshly squeezed orange juice not only tastes fruity and fresh but is also a real source of energy. Drink a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice every day, because it keeps you fit and is very healthy.
Fresh pressed orange juice Benifits
- does not contain any added sugar
- Strengthens the immune system: The high content of vitamin C (also called ascorbic acid) makes the orange very healthy. But the contained antioxidants also protect the body from cell damage and free radicals. As a result, the orange has an anti-aging effect.
- stimulates the metabolism
- prevents kidney stones: oranges have a high citrate content and therefore protect against kidney stones.
- Reduces high blood pressure: The contained potassium and the main flavonoid hesperidin in the inner white layer of the orange peel promote blood flow in the vessels and thus reduce the risk of heart attack.
- regulates the acid-base balance: freshly squeezed orange juice has an alkaline effect and helps to cleanse the blood.
TIP: If you are one of those people who are sensitive to fruit acid, you should have eaten something before your glass of orange juice. Otherwise, a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice in the morning increases vitality.